DEBT COLLECTION HARASSMENT ATTORNEYS IN MELBOURNE, FL
Melbourne Debt Collection Harrassment
A past due bill often means debt collectors calling you excessively, threatening penalties, or even impersonating authorities. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Debt collectors will stoop to nearly anything to get their money, but federal and Florida law protect you from much of their behavior.
The legal team at Morgan & Morgan’s Melbourne office can assist you if you believe you’re a victim of debt collector abuse. We can put debt collectors in their place and help you recover compensation for bearing the brunt of their abusive behavior. Fill out our free case evaluation form today.
Legal Protections Afforded to You
The federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act has strict guarantees that affect almost every third-party debt collector in the country. Collectors cannot:
- Threaten force, violence, or defamation;
- Use obscene, profane, or abusive language;
- Publish the names of alleged debtors;
- Place phone calls with a frequency that is intended to harass;
- Misrepresent the amount, nature, or origin or an alleged debt;
- Impersonate law enforcement or another authority;
- Misrepresent the potential penalties for non-payment, including telling alleged debtors they will be prosecuted, imprisoned or their wages will be garnished (unless garnishment is actually authorized by a court);
- Add charges or fees not authorized by the original agreement;
- Solicit or demand an excessively postdated check; or
- Threaten to repossess property when the right to do so does not actually exist.
Florida also has provisions of its own that help protect you from debt harassment. A trained Florida attorney can help you understand how to fight back. If you hire an attorney, the debt collector must contact them, not you, with regard to your debt. An attorney can take initial steps with actions like:
- Sending a letter demanding communication with the debtor stop;
- Requesting validation and calculations of the debt; and
- Sending a letter to contest the debt.
Take Your Life Back
Having to deal with the abusive behavior of debt collectors can be exhausting, but we’re here to help. You can recover statutory and actual damages, plus attorney fees, for suffering you might have experienced.
Our Melbourne-based legal team understands the ins and outs of unsavory debt harassment, and can help you fight back using the law. Fill out a free case evaluation form if you’re ready to seek justice and peace of mind today.